mold behind drywall Mold/Flooding in your home:

*If you are having allergic reactions/symptoms or can smell an odor, you may have mold.

MOLD FACT SHEET

  • Mold can only grow with moisture
  • Once moist, mold can begin to grow in 24- 72 hours if not properly dried
  • Molds reproduce by means of microscopic spores coming in contact with moisture
  • Spores have no odor
  • Mold odors generally do not cause symptoms
  • Most symptoms of mold exposure are caused by inhaling airborne spores
  • Many molds release mycotoxins to fight off other molds and microorganisms that are in competition for the same food; wood, drywall, carpeting, clothing, etc.
  • These mycotoxins may cause serious allergic reactions, asthma attacks, hay-fever type symptoms such as sneezing, irritated eyes, runny nose, throat and sinus congestion, headaches and respiratory problems
  • People with compromised immune systems may be vulnerable to opportunistic infections from some molds, which can be fatal
  • A person without initial reactions can develop reactions due to continued exposure, due to sensitization reactions that can occur over time

  • TIPS FOR DEALING WITH FLOODING

    Before the flood:
  • Items of concern should be moved to a higher/safer place before the flooding begins. Plastic/bags can be used to help protect vulnerable items, etc.
  • Clean roof gutters, ensure that downspouts are unclogged, and that leaders are intact, and properly directing water flow away from the building
  • Make sure your sump pump is functioning and the electrical outlet is not tripped

  • AFTER THE FLOOD:

  • After flooding, clean up water and moisture ASAP; less than 48 hours
  • Damaged items that cannot be thoroughly cleaned and dried within two days should be disposed of so the mold cannot spread
  • A wet vacuum will come in handy if the power has not gone out (a generator can supply power in the event of a power outage)
  • Keep the humidity low by ventilating the wet areas
  • Run air-conditioning and fans to help dry wet areas
  • If photos or other important documents are water damaged, place them into a freezer in freezer bags to help preserve them/slow mold growth
  • If the areas are allowed to stay moist for more than 24-72 hours, mold can develop on moist materials, typically within wall cavities hidden from sight.

  • * Bleach is NOT an effective disinfectant solution for cleaning drywall, wood or other organic materials; organic materials neutralize the bleach so that it only disinfects the surface! While it is possible to clean mold yourself if it is in a small area, it is not always recommended.

    *** If you call a professional, make sure to hire an unbiased third party that does not do the remediation and can give an honest assessment, as it can cost thousands of dollars to remove mold and prevent future growth.